Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The Talking Heads Are Taking Over My Life

That is not a metaphor for voices in my head finally telling me things I should be doing. I still have THAT common sense factor working in my favor, and I hope to keep that sucker wrangled until the day I die, with only the very rare happening that it escapes me and only one or two people are around to call me on it. No, when I say the Talking Heads are taking over my life, I am referencing the band circa the late 70's into the early 80's. That list I made a few weeks ago of the best albums I've recently discovered? Well, there's a few new additions, and one of them is Talking Heads - Remain in Light. Just a superior album. Superior to what? I don't honestly care. It just rocks the house. It rocks the apartment. It rocks the condo in Florida. It even rocks the little shanty. It's just GREAT.

I still don't have an internship, but I'm working on it, I promise. It's never cool when the place you've called has a nice bait and switch type attitude to it, and you keep getting voicemails and alternate phone numbers. Screw that noise.

Also great? Soundgarden's Superunknown. Yeah, everyone knew that already, including me, but you know what? It's not like it's suddenly irrelevant. It still owns face. However, what IS new to me in awesomeness off this CD is the title track. I was always obsessed with Black Hole Sun, and never really realized how great the rest of it is, especially Superunknown. Just 5 minutes of awesome rocky grungeness. Nirvana, while the most popular in grunge, can't touch Soundgarden as far as I'm concerned. Hell, thinking back on it, when I compare the Big 4 (Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains), Nirvana is at the bottom of that list, and not just because they had the fewest amount of albums. They just weren't as great. Their lyrics were tops, but EVERYTHING else they did was done better by the other 3 bands listed there.

Cincinnati's 'charm' is starting to wear thin on me. Maybe it's because I'm starting to realize just how truly lonely I am down here, or maybe it's that I feel like I'm in a city version of the town I grew up in, or maybe I'm just not finding the right places to make new friends. Irregardless, to break out the old cliche, the honeymoon is over. Time to get down to brass tacks. Whatever else sounds cheesy enough to follow.

I've started running/walking/moving around outside in an attempt to get back into a healthy state. It's absolutely PITIFUL how truly out of shape I am. I can't make it half a mile without getting winded. That's so awful I mildly hate myself. However, I am working on changing that. I want to be able to run a good 2 miles at least without anything happening. That's my current goal, and that will probably take me about 6 years. Plus, this cold isn't helping at all, either. I was in a groove, I'd ran for the past 2 or 3 days, and then it's suddenly 40 degrees and raining/sleeting. I'm NOT running in that. So now my running momentum will be gone by the time it warms up again, and I'll be like 'meh'.

Alright, blog update done. Sleepy time is imminent.

No comments:

Post a Comment